Q: What should I do if I’m in a car accident?

If you are involved in a car accident, you should seek necessary medical treatment immediately. Even if you are not injured, it is important that you call the police and file a formal police report which can later assist with insurance claims and any lawsuits which may follow.

During this time, you will be required to show your driver’s license and documentation of your insurance coverage. It is important that you obtain this information from the other driver as well. If you have a camera, you should take a photo of the scene or soon after to show any damage to your vehicle. You should also contact your insurance carrier as soon as possible so they can instruct you on the necessary steps to file your claim.

To ensure that you receive the greatest settlement possible, contact a personal injury attorney who can initiate an investigation before witnesses forget their testimonials and evidence is lost.

Q: I was in a minor accident and the other driver and I just exchanged insurance information without calling the police. My insurance company is now giving me a hard time for not having a report. Is a police report necessary for all car accidents?

It is always a good idea to call the police at the time of an automobile accident. Although different insurance carriers have different policies regarding the necessity of a police report when filing a claim, many will accept an auto insurance claim without one. Nonetheless, police reports are helpful in determining the involved parties and documenting who was at fault. This information will assist your insurance company in their investigation and may expedite the resolution of the claim.

Q: I was in a car accident and the other motorist’s insurance company just called me for a statement. Am I required to provide one?

Absolutely not! More often than not, the other driver’s insurance company is calling to obtain information which can be used against you as you seek to recover losses. Respectfully decline their request and inform them that if they would like a copy of your statement, they may contact your insurance carrier directly.

Q: Who is responsible for my medical treatment and expenses?

Under New York’s “No-Fault” Law, in most instances the insurance company for the car you are in pays your medical bills regardless of who is at fault for causing the accident. If you are a pedestrian or riding a bicycle and you are struck by a car, then the insurance company for that car pays your medical bills, again regardless of who is at fault for causing the accident. If you are a passenger on a bus the law is much more complicated and there are a number of factors that determine who pays your medical bills, so it is important that you contact us to determine who pays your bills.

In all instances you have just thirty days to make your claim for medical benefits, so do not delay in contacting us.