If you have been injured due to the negligence of another party, nothing can undo the damage. However, the legal system does provide justice through financial compensation to help you minimize the long-term impact of your injuries. If this has happened to you, contact us at Friedman, Levy, Goldfarb, Green & Bagley, P.C. for a free case review.
Common Types of Personal Injury Accidents
Some of the more common types of personal injury cases that we handle include the following:
- Car accidents: Perhaps you were rear-ended on I-278 or t-boned when a drunk driver ran a red light on Queens Boulevard.
- Truck accidents: If a truck driver falls asleep at the wheel while driving longer than federal laws allow, you may be able to sue both the driver and their trucking company.
- Civil rights: This can include police brutality, wrongful conviction, harassment by the police, and more.
- Construction accidents: You may be walking to work at Skyline Tower when a dangerous object from a construction site falls and hits you.
- Slip and fall accidents: You could take a quick break from shopping at Queens Place Mall and slip and fall due to a large spill in the food court that has been there for three hours.
- Medical malpractice: A routine surgery at Queens Hospital Center could become your worst nightmare if the surgeon makes a mistake.
- Motorcycle accidents: You could be driving south on Main Street when you are hit by a car that makes an unsafe lane change.
- Nursing home abuse and neglect: Your loved one may be undernourished, physically abused, or improperly monitored to the extent that they incur painful bedsores.
- Premises liability: Your grocery store’s parking lot is so poorly lit that you trip over debris and severely injure your back when you fall.
- Wrongful death: A construction site isn’t up to code, and a loved one is seriously injured.
As you can imagine, the accidents listed above can cause serious injuries. Some of the more common include the following:
- Head injuries such as Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
- Neck, back, and spine injuries
- Internal bleeding
- Severe cuts and lacerations
- Bone fractures or breaks
- Nerve damage
- Loss of hearing or vision
- Permanent scarring or disfigurement
- Organ damage
There are several different types of damages that you may be eligible to pursue in a personal injury lawsuit, such as:
- All medical bills, which can be steep and overwhelming in many of these cases. This can include costs such as transportation by ambulance, ER visits, hospital stays, surgeries and procedures, doctor’s appointments, and many others.
- In addition to your salary or wages, lost wages also include benefits such as health care, vacation time, sick leave, and more.
- Loss of earning capacity seeks to fill in the gap between what you would have made had you not been injured and what you earn after the injury, assuming you can return to the workforce.
- Pain and suffering can include the day-to-day physical discomfort and depression following a traumatic brain injury or other types of serious injuries.
- Loss of consortium usually means the loss of physical affection from a spouse.
In the aftermath of many personal injury accidents, the defendant’s insurance company will contact you. They may even extend a settlement offer in an attempt to resolve your claim. However, we advise that you refrain from accepting it. Insurance adjusters are charged with minimizing your financial recovery, so they typically only extend lowball settlement offers early in the process.
We strongly recommend that you consult with an experienced Queens personal injury lawyer before accepting anything from the insurance company.
At Friedman, Levy, Goldfarb, Green & Bagley, P.C., we have been serving New Yorkers for more than half a century. We are dedicated to maximizing the financial compensation of each client. If you have been hurt or incapacitated in an accident, call us to schedule a free and confidential consultation with a Queens personal injury attorney.