While most police in New York City honorably serve and protect, there are always a few bad apples in every profession. Unfortunately, some officers abuse their power and sexually assault innocent victims. However, an experienced police sexual abuse attorney in New York at Friedman, Levy, Goldfarb & Green will know what to do to hold that officer accountable and achieve justice on your behalf. If this has happened to you, contact us today for a free consultation.
If the police sexually assault you, criminal charges may be filed against them. However, it is essential to note that the criminal justice system aims to punish but does not do anything tangible to help you. On the other hand, the civil system does help the victim. Specifically, it seeks to provide financial compensation to help you and your family heal–in an independent legal action known as a personal injury lawsuit. Some of the types of damages that you may pursue may include:
- Past and future medical bills
- Lost wages
- Loss of earning capacity
- Physical and emotional pain and suffering
- Loss of enjoyment of life
- Loss of companionship
One common defense utilized by officers accused of police sexual assault is that the plaintiff consented. Please note, though, that this defense will not have any validity because true consent is impossible when one party (you) is under the authority of the other party (the officer). In addition, you understand that you may risk retaliation or worse if you fight back.
Here are some critical steps you can take in the immediate aftermath of a sexual assault by police. The following mayhelp maximize the amount of financial compensation that you receive in a lawsuit:
- Seek immediate medical attention, including a rape kit by a sexual assault nurse examiner (SANE) who is a highly qualified RN. If the hospital doesn’t have one—go to another one that does, or request a SANE nurse, and wait. Do not change your clothes, shower, or brush your hair.
- Ask staff for an SVU member from a nearby police precinct to take your report at the hospital.
- If possible, take pictures of the exact location where the assault occurred and the surrounding area. Many businesses and private residences employ surveillance cameras 24 hours a day. An experienced New York City civil rights lawyer can help you find, request, preserve, and utilize that footage to prove your case.
- After you’ve done all of the above, schedule a consultation with an experienced police sexual assault attorney as soon as possible. The insurance company representing the officer and their police department may extend a lowball settlement offer to you in hopes that you will accept it. However, with a skilled attorney at your side, you will know the actual value of your claim.
- Refrain from posting any updates, pictures, or videos online that mention the assault or your lawsuit.
For more than 50 years, our attorneys at Friedman, Levy, Goldfarb & Green, PC have been standing up for the rights of victims whose rights have been violated by an abuse of power in police brutality and sexual assault cases. We fight from beginning to end to achieve justice and maximum financial compensation for our clients.
If you have been sexually abused by a member of law enforcement in New York City, call Friedman, Levy, Goldfarb & Green, PC 24/7 to book a cost-free case review. We will never charge you anything unless you win your case.