One moment everything is normal, and then everything in your life changes with a serious car accident. Some victims may be fortunate and emerge with only mild injuries, but others may suffer catastrophic harm. Their lives and the lives of their loved ones may not ever be the same again.
For results-focused advocacy, contact us at Friedman, Levy, Goldfarb & Green, P. C. for a free consultation.
What are the Common Causes of Car Accidents?
There are many causes of car accidents in Staten Island, but some of the most common include the following:
- Speeding on I-278 and causing a wrongful death
- Running a red light or stop sign on Bay Street
- Following too closely
- Unsafe lane changes
- Unsafe merges or turns
- Distracted driving on the Verrazzano-Narrows Bridge
- Driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs in Stapleton
How You Can Help Maximize the Financial Value of Your Claim
An experienced Staten Island personal injury lawyer knows that the aftermath of a car accident is chaotic. You may not know what happened or how it happened. But, despite the confusion, try to remember a few essential steps.
These may significantly enhance the financial value of your claim.
- Call the police and file an incident report. This will document many of the factual details of the accident, some of which may become useful for your car crash claim later in the process.
- Seek medical attention as soon as possible, even if you do not feel any pain. You have just been in a car accident, so your body is likely filled with adrenaline. It may mask the severity of some injuries. One of the most common arguments utilized by defendants is that the plaintiff’s injuries were not caused by that accident. They claim this because the plaintiff did not immediately seek medical help. If you are seen by a medical professional shortly after your accident, it prevents the other side from using that strategy against you.
- Obtain the contact information of anyone who was an eyewitness to your accident. Some claims for truck accidents come down to your word against the other driver’s word, so the more supporting evidence you can provide from others who witnessed what happened, the better.
- Take pictures of everything that might be relevant for your claim. This includes your injuries and any property damage sustained, skid marks on the road, traffic conditions, weather conditions, posted signs, and the properties in the surrounding area. Many businesses and private residences use surveillance cameras. As a result, they may have obtained footage of your crash. An experienced Staten Island car accident lawyer will know how to obtain and utilize this footage on your behalf.
- Do not post anything about your accident on social media. Insurance companies can obtain access to your accounts. Anything you post– or is posted about you– can wind up reducing the financial value of your claim. For example, if you post an update about how you were involved in an accident, a shrewd defense lawyer may somehow frame it that you admitted responsibility for the crash.
You Can Still Win Even if You Were Partially Responsible
Some individuals who call our office express concern that they may have been partially responsible for the accident. However, an experienced car accident lawyer in Staten Island will explain that New York is a pure comparative negligence state. This means that you can still recover financial compensation if you were less than 100 percent at fault.
The amount of damages you incur will be reduced proportionately to your fault. For example, if you were 60 percent responsible for an accident in which you suffered $500,000 worth of damages, you would receive $200,000.
Book a Consultation with a Car Accident Lawyer in Staten Island, NY
At Friedman, Levy, Goldfarb & Green, P.C., we have been serving injured New Yorkers for more than half a century. We take pride in providing competent, trustworthy, and aggressive advocacy for our clients and have built a long track record of successful settlements and verdicts. If you have been injured in a car accident, call us to arrange your free consultation with a car accident attorney in Staten Island. You will never receive a legal bill unless you win your case.