For some individuals who enter New York City jails, their punishment is not limited to confinement. They may also be victims of abuse and neglect–due to the actions of prison officials. Prisoners are still entitled to many fundamental civil rights, including proper medical care. If you have incurred a serious injury due to police brutality or another type of abuse, please contact us at Friedman, Levy, Goldfarb & Green. We fight hard against civil rights violations. Call today for a free consultation.
- Rikers Island
- The Tombs Correctional Facility
- Bedford Hills Correctional Facility
- Hudson County Correctional Facility
- Fishkill Correctional Facility
- Southport Correctional Facility
- Clinton Correctional Facility
- Sing Sing Correctional Facility
There are several different types of abuse or neglect that prisoners may incur that violate their civil rights– including the following:
- Medical neglect: This may entail withholding medication or assistive devices or a failure to treat or diagnose potentially serious conditions in a timely manner.
- Failure to address mental health concerns: While some inmates have physical injuries or illnesses, others require psychiatric care or suicide prevention. If the prison authorities do not adequately protect these inmates from themselves and other inmates, that may give rise to a civil rights lawsuit.
- Verbal, physical, or sexual assault or harassment: This can come from other inmates or even directly from prison officials themselves. All prisoners have the right to be safe from these types of abuse.
- Cruel and unusual punishment: This may take the form of excessive amounts of time in solitary confinement–sometimes for years at a time. It can also include lack of proper nourishment, dangerous levels of heat or cold, excessive restraints, or retaliation for reporting abusive behaviors.
- Failure to release a prisoner on their scheduled release date.
- Targeting inmates based on sexual orientation, race, religion, gender, or nationality.
At Friedman, Levy, Goldfarb, Green & Bagley, P.C., we strongly recommend that you consult with an experienced jail abuse lawyer as soon as possible. You may be eligible to file a personal injury claim against an officer, prison official, or the government. We can help explain your legal rights, important deadlines, and the strengths and weaknesses of your Rikers Island abuse claim—or from any other New York facility.
In addition, you may be eligible to recover financial compensation for your physical and emotional injuries, medical costs, loss of income, punitive damages, and more if you have been injured while in jail.
We have been zealously advocating for injured victims for over half a century and have built a long track record of successful settlements and verdicts. Perhaps some people no longer care about the civil rights of people once they are imprisoned, but we are dedicated to standing up for their rights. Simply put, we will not tolerate this abuse of power. We thoroughly investigate, gather evidence, and interview potential eyewitnesses as we build a case in an attempt to secure justice and maximum financial compensation for the injured party.
If you or a loved one have been a victim of neglect or abuse in New York City jails, call Friedman, Levy, Goldfarb, Green & Bagley, P.C. 24 hours a day to schedule a zero-cost consultation with a New York City civil rights lawyer. We handle all cases on a contingency fee basis, which means you will never receive a legal bill from us unless you win your case.