Slips and falls can happen when you least expect them, and often result in serious injuries. If your accident took place at an apartment complex or building in New York, and negligence was to blame, you may be eligible for compensation.
Explore your options for legal recourse with New York slip and fall lawyers at Friedman, Levy, Goldfarb & Green. Our attorneys are well-versed in landlord liability and premises liability laws in the city, and can hold negligent parties responsible for your injuries and financial losses.
Our firm has provided results-driven advocacy to NY residents for over 50 years, and we take apartment slip and fall cases on a contingency basis. This means we don’t get paid unless we secure compensation on your behalf. Don’t hesitate to schedule a free consultation with a New York apartment slip and fall accident lawyer today.
Liability issues for apartment complex slip and falls
Whether you were a tenant or a visitor in the apartment building where the slip and fall took place, you have certain rights. New York landlords, property owners, and managers have an obligation to ensure their premises are free of potential dangers or unsafe conditions that could cause a tenant or invited guest to slip, trip, and fall. In situations where they fail to remedy hazards that they knew or should have reasonably been aware of in a timely manner, they may be liable for resulting injuries.
If the slip and fall took place in a common area of the apartment building, such as the entrance, stairwell or hallway, the landlord could be held liable, as they are generally responsible for inspecting and maintaining common areas. This may also depend on your lease agreement, which stipulates landlord obligations in regard to property upkeep. Under certain circumstances, a maintenance or repair contractor could be held accountable for a slip and fall injury in an apartment building’s common area.
A qualified attorney will conduct thorough investigations to uncover all potential defendants after a slip and fall in an apartment building.
“Can you sue your apartment complex for slip and fall injuries?” is a common question we field. In order to prevail in a personal injury action against your landlord or NYC building owner, you must prove that the defendant’s negligence in the upkeep and ownership of the complex was the direct cause of your slip and fall, and that the accident resulted in verifiable economic losses.
Your attorney must gather evidence that proves:
- A defect or dangerous condition existed in the apartment complex
- The defendant had actual knowledge of the hazard or should have known by means of reasonable upkeep
- There existed a high likelihood that a tenant or visitor could be injured by the hazard
- The landlord had sufficient time to fix the condition but took no measures
- The defendant failed to warn about the unsafe condition
- The slip and fall was caused by the property defect
- Documented injuries and financial losses were sustained
Steps to take after a slip and fall at an apartment complex
The actions taken after an apartment slip and fall accident can impact the outcome of your claim. We offer the following tips to improve your chances of securing fair compensation.
- Report the accident to the landlord or property manager and request the incident report
- Take photos or video of the defect that caused you to fall
- If there were any witnesses, get their names and contact information
- Get a full medical review, even if injuries seem minor
- Keep records of out-of-pocket expenses incurred for transportation and doctor’s appointments
- Follow all medical treatment protocols
- Consult with a knowledgeable attorney
- Stay off social media until your claim resolves, as photos and statements can be misconstrued and used to question the validity of your injuries
Common causes of apartment building slip and falls
Poor lighting, absent handrails, and broken treads are common causes of stairwell slip and falls. Numerous hazards can be created when landlords and managers fail to exercise appropriate care:
- Cracked sidewalks
- Debris on pathways
- Snow-covered or icy entrances
- Spilled liquids or plumbing leaks
- Inadequate lighting
- Loose or bunched-up carpeting
- Broken or defective flooring
The extent of your injuries and medical expenses will factor largely into the value of your claim. Your attorney will look at past, current, and anticipated economic and non-economic damages when drafting a demand letter and during subsequent negotiations.
Apartment building slip and fall settlements can provide victims the financial means to get the best medical care and move forward with their lives. In addition to hospital and medical bills, this compensation is designed to cover lost income, pain and suffering, reduced earning capacity, and diminished quality of life.
Experienced legal counsel in NYC and Long Island
If you were hurt in a slip and fall accident in an apartment complex or building in New York, reach out to Friedman, Levy, Goldfarb & Green for a complimentary case evaluation. We leverage extensive experience handling premises liability cases throughout the greater New York City area.