Construction sites are inherently dangerous places. Because of this, both Federal and New York State Law make it easy for construction workers, tenants in buildings that are undergoing rehab, and passersby to report unsafe conditions.

When unsafe conditions lead to injuries, a New York City personal injury lawyer at Manhattan’s Friedman, Levy, Goldfarb, Green & Bagley, P.C., represents injured parties to recover damages for their losses and injuries. Our attorneys believe that preventing those injuries in the first instance is always a better practice. So, we encourage individuals to report these construction sites to reduce accident risks.      

How Can a Construction Worker Report an Unsafe Construction Site?

Contractors often share their concerns and encourage their employees to discuss dangers with managers and foremen.  In a majority of cases, the contractor will remedy it, because failing to remove known hazards can expose the contractor to significant liability.

However, if a contractor is unwilling to correct unsafe conditions or an employee is concerned that reporting an issue might lead to their termination, the U.S. Occupational Safety and Health Act (OSHA) provides reporting mechanisms. These enable an employee to report this online, in writing, or by phone.

An employee who reports an unsafe construction site to an OSHA office will be asked to provide details about the hazards, including information about the number of employees at the site, equipment, materials, and safety training that the contractor might have offered or provided to employees.

How Can a Tenant Report Unsafe Construction Conditions?

Apartment renters might live in older buildings that are undergoing renovation. In New York, a tenant can contact the City’s Department of Buildings online or by telephone to report conditions that create an unsafe environment around their home.  The Department will issue a service request number to the tenant and will investigate and contact the landlord or property manager– if the renovation contractor is not adhering to proper procedures.

How Can a Third-Party Report Excessive Construction Site Hazards?

OSHA and the Department of Buildings also allow and encourage third parties to report unsafe conditions that they see at construction sites. Consult with an experienced construction accident lawyer if you have any questions about how to make or submit these reports.

Placing Contractors on Notice About Unsafe Construction Sites

Contractors owe a duty of care to their employees, building occupants, and all third parties to keep the site as safe and hazard-free as possible. A contractor might attempt to mitigate liability for an accident by claiming a lack of knowledge of the conditions that caused it.

However, when unsafe construction site conditions are reported to a regulator, the contractor will then have actual knowledge. If the contractor fails to correct this after being placed on notice of them– a party who suffers injuries as a result of those conditions will have a better opportunity to collect the full amount of damages.  

Recovering Damages for Injuries at Unsafe Construction Sites

Construction employees who suffer on-the-job injuries can recover lost wages and some medical expenses through workers’ compensation insurance. Third parties will likely need to file a negligence lawsuit against the contractor who is liable. In both cases, a  New York personal injury lawyer is the best resource to sort out which construction contractors may be liable and to fight for the largest damages award that may be available from all potentially responsible parties.

Moreover, the deadlines for making workers’ compensation claims and filing negligence lawsuits may be relatively short. A party that suffers injuries at an unsafe construction site should not delay before contacting an attorney about filing claims or lawsuits.

Call the NYC Construction Site and Personal Injury Lawyers at  Friedman, Levy, Goldfarb, Green & Bagley, P.C.

The personal injury lawyers at Manhattan’s Friedman, Levy, Goldfarb, & Green help construction workers, tenants, and third parties to report unsafe sites and to recover damages when they suffer losses and injuries. Please see our website for more information about reporting or call our offices directly and speak with a construction site attorney about claiming reimbursements for your damages.

Additional Resources:

  1. How to File a Safety and Health Complaint.
  2. File a Complaint.
  3. How Do I Report a Construction Hazard?