Seriously hurt in a motor vehicle accident? The law firm of Friedman, Levy, Goldfarb & Green offers zealous representation for car accident victims in New York City and Long Island. Every year, more than a quarter of a million Americans are hospitalized for car accident injuries, ranging from herniated discs and broken bones to catastrophic brain damage. Even seemingly mild injuries can lead to lost wages, emotional trauma, costly medical bills and chronic pain. Whether you can’t work because of whiplash-related symptoms or are facing months of rehabilitation, we can outline your legal rights and help you obtain fair compensation.
Serving the greater New York City area for more than five decades, our distinguished personal injury law firm will oversee every aspect of your motor vehicle accident claim, allowing you to focus on your health and recovery. There is no charge for speaking with one of our NYC car accident lawyers about the details of your claim. We are well-versed in New York no-fault insurance and are seasoned negotiators that won’t back down, and aren’t afraid to take a case to trial, if necessary. Compensation for serious auto accident injuries caused by the negligent actions of another is not a luxury, but a basic right under our legal system.
Friedman, Levy, Goldfarb & Green protects your best interests and takes great pride in offering personalized service during your time of need.
Serious car accident injuries
Auto accident injuries are as wide-ranging as the types of collisions that cause them. Rear-end collisions are often associated with whiplash, while rollovers are more apt to leave victims with life-threatening spinal cord injury, paralysis or brain trauma.
According to the CDC, motor vehicle collisions are the number one reason for emergency room visits, and more than 2.5 million Americans are treated for car accident injuries every year.
Some of the most common car accident injuries include:
- Neck injury – car accidents may cause musculoskeletal damage by stretching or compressing tissues in the neck and shoulders.
- Back injury – car accidents can cause herniated or ruptured discs that limit mobility and cause excruciating pain.
- Broken bones and fractures – some may require surgery and extensive physical therapy.
- Spinal cord injuries — can result in loss of function, partial or full paralysis, and the need for round-the-clock nursing care.
- Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI) – depending on the severity, can have devastating consequences with a broad range of disabilities.
- Whiplash – caused by a sudden jolt that stretches and sometimes tears the soft tissues in the neck.
- Other soft tissue injuries to the ligaments, tendons or muscles including strains and sprains.
- Internal organ injuries – perforated or ruptured organs such as the kidneys, liver or spleen can cause internal bleeding, infection and risk of death.
- Burns – may require skin grafting and leave victims with permanent scars and disfigurement.
- Lacerations – broken glass and metal shards can rip through skin and tissue.
Friedman, Levy, Goldfarb & Green have ample experience successfully handling car accident claims involving catastrophic injury. We understand the tremendous lifetime expenditures necessary to care for a loved one who has been physically or mentally disabled by serious accident injuries. Leveraging our decades of legal expertise, we can hold negligent parties liable for the pain and suffering their actions have caused.
Symptoms of delayed car crash injuries
On top of the stress and emotional shock, car accidents may cause physical harm that goes unnoticed amidst the immediate chaos and confusion. Signs and symptoms of soft tissue injuries — some serious in nature – may not manifest for days or even weeks. For this reason, it’s crucial to get a thorough medical evaluation promptly after any type of auto accident. Be mindful of delayed injury symptoms that indicate something is amiss. Delayed car crash injuries frequently involve damage to the spine, back, head and neck, as well as soft tissues of the body.
Seek immediate medical attention if any of the following symptoms present:
- Back pain – damage to the ligaments, muscles, nerves or vertebrae of the back are common injuries in side-impact and rear-impact accidents. Injuries like herniated discs are often delayed, and if not treated can result in lasting pain and disability.
- Numbness – loss of feeling or a tingling sensation in the arms or hands may suggest whiplash, caused by damage to the soft tissues of the neck and upper spinal column.
- Changes in personality – Car accidents are one of the top causes of traumatic brain injury (TBI), and personality changes, depression and mood swings are early symptoms.
- Blurred vision – along with impaired memory, can point to a concussion or TBI.
- Stomach pain or bruising – abdominal pain, bruising or swelling can indicate some level of internal bleeding – a life-threatening emergency.
- Headaches – persistent headaches after a car crash can point to more serious issues such as a concussion, blood clot in the brain or neck injury.
- Neck stiffness and shoulder pain – these are classic symptoms of whiplash, which can result from low-impact crashes and leave victims with excruciating pain.
- Nightmares/flashbacks – are indicators of Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD). Younger people are more susceptible to PTSD, which is best managed with psychological counseling.
Compensation for auto accident injuries in New York
Once a car accident claim is filed, we dedicate our full resources to obtaining the monetary damages your family rightfully deserves. A settlement or court award would account for both economic and non-economic losses, and factor in any loss of future earning potential or permanent disability.
Get in touch with an established law firm that will advocate for your rights in the wake of an auto accident. Call Friedman, Levy, Goldfarb & Green in NYC to arrange a complimentary case evaluation.
Additional Resources on Car Accident Injuries:
- KTAR News, 7 delayed injury symptoms after a car crash https://ktar.com/story/605000/7-delayed-injury-symptoms-after-a-car-crash/
- CDC, Motor Vehicle Crash Injuries https://www.cdc.gov/vitalsigns/crash-injuries/index.html
- Mayo Clinic, Traumatic Brain Injury https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/traumatic-brain-injury/symptoms-causes/syc-20378557
- Ortho Info, Soft Tissue Injuries https://orthoinfo.aaos.org/en/diseases–conditions/sprains-strains-and-other-soft-tissue-injuries/